Q-Fest February 2007 San Dimas, Ca
news - BBQ News 2007

Q-Fest

February 2007

San Dimas, Ca

An event I have not written about in a couple of years but one I really look forward to each year is the Q-Fest held in San Dimas every February. It had steadily grown and gets better with each year. This one was no exception.

It is great to get together with our BBQ buddies and get to meet new ones. We get to spend time just hanging out with no pressure and plenty of time unlike the contest settings.

There are always some fun seminars put on by different members like dutch oven cooking, Bentley did ABT’s, Todd and Dan do sausage making that always gets out of control with a lot of laughs and some great sausage. Dr Don did a couple of classes also.

BBQ Joe Miles is in charge of cooking a Tri Tip dinner for everyone on Friday night with some help from his friends. Todd gets the tri tip donated from his sponsor, Bristol Farms.

Saturday morning we do breakfast prepared by Jim Sheridan alon with Dan Cannons wonderful biscuits and gravy. This makes the kind of breakfast you talk about for next year.

On Saturday we do a huge pot luck style dinner in which everyone participates. The fried chicken I think was my favorite this year prepared by Jay and Monica. No wnder it was great.

CBBQA’s board of directors gather for their first on site meeting and presents the team of the year and other awards. This is always exciting. This year they instituted the Hall of Fame and inducted Dan Cannon and Gene Goycochea as it’s first two members. They could not have picked two better people. These two gentlemen have worked nonstop for years to promote not only the CBBQA but BBQ itself. I was very moved and glad to see them honored this way. They also presented a humanitarian award to team Smoke-A-Licous from San Diego. These guys are incredible. They re-built a Boys and Girls club to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars in labor and material. The CBBQA has some extraordinary people among its membership and it makes me proud to be a part of this organization that does so much good for so many people. It is amazing when I think about all of the charitable projects this group has done. All the while we are having a blast barbequing.

The most fun at the Q Fest for me is sitting around the fire. It really is a great time when you can sit around and talk and laugh all night with great friends. I have to say that Kenny Kernop (Crimson Hogs, Tuscaloosa, AL) and Steve were the entertainment for the night. This year it was exceptional thanks to Glen Stanley and his son Kyle and All Hogs Go To Heaven family for their generous donation of wood that kept us warm.

bottom