Fact Stranger than Fiction!!! Los Angeles, CA April 7, 2006
news - BBQ News 2006
Fact Stranger than Fiction!!!
Los Angeles, CA
April 7, 2006

By Brent Walton

Drinking BBQ SauceI swear to you this really happened —You cannot make this stuff up!

It was about 10:30pm Friday night at the "Autry" in Pasadena, CA. I was puttering around admiring the blue smoke arising from my pit when this elderly gentleman — kind of a rugged looking ole cowboy. You have seen the type, probably about 70 years old and in need of a shave. Denim clothes, well worn. He says "pardon me, you got sauce for sale?" "You bet," I replied, and started with my sales pitch. He didn't pay much attention to what I was saying but he bought 1 bottle each of my sauces, the QN4U Clovis style and the Q Original. He thanked me and was on his way.

Thirty to forty minutes later he returned to the booth and says, "Hey, that sauce was really good." He asked to purchase another one of the Q Original. I said, "Great, sure." He plopped down his money on the table like he was buying a bottle of "Ole Red Eye" at a saloon. I handed the bottle to him and thanked him. He took the bottle and stripped the plastic off of the cap, twisted the cap off and proceeded to drink down the whole bottle of sauce.

I could not believe what I was seeing. With sauce running down both sides of his mouth, he emptied the bottle and set it down. He said "I'll have another," paused a moment, "to go". I said "man are you nuts?" "No, I just like this stuff," he replied. "I guess so; you ought to try it on BBQ sometime." I was cracking up; I didn't know what to make of this guy. He seemed perfectly normal and sober to me. I gave him another bottle, told him I was grateful that he liked the sauce so much. He thanked me and moved off into the night.

bottom