Wyoming BBQ Championship
news - BBQ News 2006
Wyoming BBQ Championship
Worland, WY
July 2006

Man, I am really a glutton for punishment. This was another long and desolate drive to cook bbq. I know people are beginning to think that I am completely nuts, including my wife who keeps gong along with this. Ah, if you only knew how much I love doing this and how much fun I am having. Maybe then it would make sense.

This contest was another successful event put on by the local citizens of Worland. Like I have said before, when the community gets involved in these contests they are successful in many ways.

This contest was another successful event put on by the local citizens of Worland. Like I have said before, when the community gets involved in these contests they are successful in many ways.

We got to meet a lot of new teams, many from the Rocky Mountain BBQ Association (RMBBQA). Also a couple of legends in bbq, Hubert and Ray Green of North Main BB out of Texas aka Sweet Meat BBQ. They have the famous Armadillo BBQ. I know you have seen it. They have been cooking bbq since it all started, like the Jack and Memphis in May. They are also one of the originals at the rib cook off at the Nugget in Sparks NV which they still cook at every year. My niece Candi and her husband Brett also drove over from Montana to do this with us again. I think he is hooked.

A lot of teams were vending and the public turned out for it. I know everyone I talked to did real well. We even did some vending. Selling samples of the meat left over from the contest. We made a little money and the charity got a nice chunk. ThatÕs how it should work.

Our food that we prepared was really good, especially the ribs. They really hit the mark. The pork was real good and so was the brisket. As it seems to go our ribs came in 6th, our chicken was 3rd, the pork was twelfth and, a drum roll please!!! Our brisket was 1st!!! God, I love when that happens. Brisket is the manly category and by far the hardest thing to do so it is exciting to win this one. Overall we took 3rd, again, but I felt like a champion winning the brisket category.

One of the coolest things about this contest was "a 10:00am toast to the teams". This is a tradition in the RMBBQA. This was hosted by the Denver Cajun Kooking Krew team (Steve & Jay) out of Colorado. They poured small shots (27) of Gentleman Jack for all of the teams and at 10:00 we all met to toast each other and wish everyone luck. I thought this was a neat deal and a great tradition.

Carcass Cookers from Colorado took Grand Champion. I know there were a lot of good teams there looking for a pass to the Jack Daniels Invitational. Boy I am glad we already have ours. It is the toughest ticket in town to get, for sure!

bottom